Wednesday, November 27, 2019

View on Grades

Grading: Should we use it?
Image result for graded paper
There is no definitive answer to this question, the same as to the "Homework vs No Homework" debate. There is merit to both sides of the argument. I am on the fence and am leaning back and forth to decide where I lie. Depending on the situation both are beneficial. Grading is great for record keeping and monitoring. As a college student, I 100% prefer grading because it keeps me on track. Even though I sometimes find myself more worried about grades than learning, that worry helps me learn. I end up learning the material in these states of panic because it acts as a reality check. For many this is too stressful and can see why many lean towards no grading. Not grading is beneficial because it promotes learning without the added stress of grades. I feel the lack of self monitoring can prove harmful, but when taught right can be extremely beneficial. As a educator, grades help monitor progress easier and help us "prove our jobs". In a world where numbers are everything, grades are needed. This cannot be any more truer for special education and getting children the support they deserve and need. Without grades it is hard to prove and classify students with special needs. I 100% agree it is very discouraging seeing a bad grade, but at the same time it can be a motivator as well to do better next time. It is when there are constant low grades that a teacher should intervene to boost confidence and give more support. Overall, I stand strong at there is no right answer, but I would say I lean closer to the grading system only because of the current system that is in place in our education system. Data is key in our world and therefore grading is still going to be a key part of our educational system and there is an education reform. It is a teachers job though to boost motivation and counteract the negativity from low grades and address the issues that cause them. The grade should also, in my opinion, be based off the student and not so much as a class as a whole. A "C" to one student is an "A" to another. Again, balance is key, grading should be used meaningfully and "no grading" should be meaningful as well as long as it is backed by research and data is still being obtained.








3 comments:

  1. I agree, I tend to go back and forth about the philosophy on grading. But I think I lie on the side of grade as it provides feedback, monitoring data, and allows students to know how they are doing, and where they can improve on. I unfortunately feel that most students will only do as little as possible to receive the grade they want. If they have no bar to work for, will they continue to keep working? I have struggled with this class, not having any grades to reflect my efforts. I find this stressfull, as I'm sure my students would too, not to mention their parents! My daughter's 8th grade teacher attempted a no grade approach for a quarter. My daughter said he found it stressful and stopped doing it after the first quarter was up. Maybe no support from school, or just didn't work i his classroom, but he must have been interested in trying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im so torn when it comes to this topic. Growing up, everything was based off a grade so I do get it. However, as someone who struggled throughout most of school, I found it to be discouraging and ultimately make me feel like a failure when I received a poor grade. I had little to no confidence and felt judged by teachers as if I wasn’t good enough. The pressure put on kids in order to achieve a certain grade is just not right. We, as a society are so accustomed to putting a number or grade on everything we think it is the only way to assess children's learning. When in fact, there are endless means to assessing students knowledge rather than a test, exam, or report card. As you explain, data is key. Observing, recording, and assessing students progress can be done without placing a grade on the top of the paper. It is our job to help the struggling learners and make them feel confident. ill always remember a teacher grading a math test of mine and rather than putting the low grade on it she gave me a smiley face and the amount I got correct. The fact I still remember that to this day shows the impact it had on me! I agree grades can be motivators but not just for those passing or doing well. Receiving that test motivated me to want to learn what I was struggling with, not make me feel like a failure for not knowing. I could go on and on with this topic. I really like how you mentioned balance. Balance is key and as long as there is evidence to support students progress whether it be a grade or no grade is all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a very controversial topic. I do believe that we need to grade students. For one, if we do not, many students will not put in the effort. Also, we need a basis of understandings for our students learning: Are they learning the material? How do we know? Yes, we could collect assignments as assessments and mark - yes they get it - no they dont get it - but that is still a form of grading. I lose my mind when I do not receive a grade for an assignment I did. It is frustrating because I worked hard on that assignment and if it is not being graded, who is to say the teacher even read it? I believe that without grades, our schools would be chaos.

    ReplyDelete

Technology and Learning

Using Technology to Teach and Learn Here is a project I did that disuses the benefits of using technology and computer programs to teac...